Yesterday while on Facebook, I came across a blog post a young woman wrote entitled "20 Lessons I've Learned Since Leaving the Church". I am a pretty open-minded person, so I read the post to see what her thoughts were. Interestingly enough, I agreed with some of what she said. However, there were some things that I did not agree with so I felt it was important to share my truth as well.
Here are 20 things I've learned since leaving the world (and coming to the church)...
1. The church was established by God and belongs to him, not man.
2. The church is full of imperfect people who serve a perfect God. Without Jesus, we all suck!
3. My church membership is less about how I can be served and more about how I can serve God and others.
4. I can't hold church leaders to a standard that I'm not willing to hold myself to.
5. My pastor is supposed to lead me to God, not be my God.
6. God will never require that I submit to abusive or controlling leadership.
7. Those you attend church with can actually become family if you deal with your trust issues and take the risk to love.
8. I've had encounters with God in church that I would've never had watching church on TV because there is something powerful about corporate worship.
9. Anytime I ever felt like leaving the church, it was usually for selfish reasons or because of issues that I wanted to run away from rather than confront.
10. Women can and should lead in church and while there are churches that don't allow women to lead in ministry, this is not the majority.
11. Being involved in church is much more fulfilling than clubbing, drinking, and living without intention.
12. I have grown spiritually and experienced emotional healing because of God's presence in church.
13. Church holds me accountable. Many people leave because they don't want to be accountable to anyone.
14. Church requires that I not only learn about forgiveness but that I actually practice it.
15. I should tithe because I want to, not because I am made to. You invest in what you believe in.
16. There is safety in the will of God and my will can't be trusted.
17. I don't/won't agree with everything that happens in church and that's okay.
18. The church will remain whether I choose to be apart of it or not. My leaving will not punish anyone.
19. God does not get nervous when we question things or have different perspectives. That's why he made us autonomous beings and not robots.
20. I can build my legacy and the Kingdom simultaneously. I do not have to choose.